Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2018

This rod was made for my dear friend and master rod builder Christ Barclay. It will be paired with one of my The Can-reels, and will make a wonderful combo for North Carolina brookies. The blank is another of Tomo Ijuin's 7'02'', 3wt Hard Parabolics. Smooth and yet powerful. This rod shows my new offset reel seat design, this time with a gap between the grip and the cork insert. The back of the grip aligns seamlessly with the reel seat, allowing the hand to move freely. To be honest, I assumed I was first with this idea, but another friend and rod artisan Steve Boshoff kindly made me aware of the work of Mr. Henry Haneda in Japan who has used this concept. Sharing ideas and developing the craft is a prime mover for me, and I was happy to hear about Mr. Hanedas work. The rod was completed with a straight cigar grip and a raw bark check. Quite straight forward, but still very Fine Tackle in its style, and a nice addition to my catalogue.